Thursday, April 29

Margie April 29, 2010

Got my hair cut today. One of my family's game me a spa gift card for Christmas. I have gotten these before, and I know it is a lovely gift, but I don't enjoy going to spas. I feel so out of place. All these upscale ladies with perfect hair and nails, talking about their latest trip to Europe. I never know who to tip and how much. The girl who washes my hair, the one who brings coffee, the one who actually cuts my hair. And do I tip them when they do the service, leave it at the desk, chase them around to give it? It is just too much anxiety. And, the $40 cut is no better than the $12 one I get at Cost Cutters. Not to mention $20 bottles of shampoo. For that price I can get 20 bottles on Suave. I am just a fish out of water in a spa.

2 comments:

Betty said...

I sure know how you feel and sometimes still feel that way, although Dick keeps telling me that I'm being stupid. But I just NEVER go back to a place that makes me feel like that, and most of them don't, even though I go in with my ratty jeans and t-shirts and bad nails.

BUT, I LOVE manicures and pedicures (with parafin!) and massages at a GOOD spa. [but I never get haircuts at a spa or buy their ridiculously priced "products" and I'm not wild about facials and body wraps are "right out"!]

I just tip at the counter at the end for each major thing (manicure, massage). It is their problem to tipout to the other people, the same as waitstaff tipout to the bartender and the busser.

You are a wonderful, amazing person and deserve to be treated like a queen!

Don't let them make you feel bad! You are giving them money, and they need it too to support their families... They have NO reason to be snooty! YOU are the queen!

Colleen said...

I don't like going to new places either, that's why I've been getting my hair cut, colored, etc with the same person for about 25 years.